Went to meet an old friend last evening, her daughter (also an old friend!) and HER daughters who were taking David Howard's evening class at Steps on Broadway and 75th. I hadn't set foot in the studio in almost fifteen years, and it was nice to see that not very much has changed.
Scholarship kids still running the register (I used to do this), same antique wood furniture everywhere and the same social life going on outside the studios on the floor. The dancers look younger than ever and I stared into the same mirrors I stared in long ago.... Only a VERY different face looked back at me. Time... she's a bitch of a mistress...
David is a legend in the dance world and the dancers and artists he has created populate every major company in the world. Was lovely to see this icon and my old friend relive memories. He is rather physically feeble now, but his voice is still powerful and he demonstrates with his hands. He lost his studio in NYC as the rent skyrocketed to an unbelievable rate--as so many rents have done, and now teaches at Steps.
Getting to the studio was chaotic as some idiot on the subway slammed a box into my back and we got into a screaming match. The whole time I am cursing this cretin out, I am thinking, "Jesus man, lighten up, it's Christmas!", but yet my mouth kept going and god knows there was an audience. I was so embarassed I got out of the subway at 66th street and walked the rest of the way. Ho, ho, NO. Light a candle for my short, temper someone won't you please?!?!?
Heading up to Woodstock tomorrow to begin this cookfest.
Merry Hols, everyone.
I'll light a candle. A yummy cinnamon calming scent.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the blog... love to read them!
HOLIDAY HUG!