Last night I had the final dinner party before Thanksgiving. God love Mastering the Art of French Cooking because three of the four courses were on the table, even though La Julia suggests only serving one per party. Moules a la Marinieres (Mussels steamed with butter, vermouth and shallots), Caneton a l'Orange (Duck with Orange Sauce) which, may I say, is an involved little bitch to make--served with Petits Pois a la Francaise (Little Peas, French Style) and Tarte Fraise with five artery blocking egg yolks and semi sweet chocolate as the base for the Strawberries.
Great company, lovely wine and I think I sat down for about twenty minutes total. The problem with gourmet food is that without a sous chef, you are rarely present at your own dinner party. Up, down, deal with the overflowing honey in the oven that is smoking the living room up worse than Custer's Last Stand, smile, gracefully move about so as not to cause panic while you put out the fire caused by alcohol burn off and hope to Christ that you are not serving a half cooked duck since you are trying to build a bit of a chef's rep with your nearest and dearest and not a trip down Botulism Lane.
Luckily, things seemed to go smoothly-- if not a trifle slow, down to the last served Espresso...
God love patient friends and two wheels of baked Brie with honey, almonds and apples rather than only one.
On to Thanksiving/Christmas/Hannukah...
Fa la la la laaaaaaaaa la la la oy...
No comments:
Post a Comment
I think I have enabled this thing to accept any/all comments. Judge away, if you wish. :)