Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Chemo Fun

Yesterday, the Chemo (Sprycell... still can't get over the name... ah, Marketing) arrived and I took the first pill.  Sat and stared at the box for a while before opening it, as I was grateful to my Doc and her team for getting it to me for a 25 dollar co payment.... (12 grand a month... GAWD...), but wasn't exactly looking forward to see what side effects would commence.

All I felt was some big-time grogginess and a bizarre urge to hit the bathroom when I was at a friend's house.  I think my dog must have felt some empathy, because when I came out of the bathroom, he squatted down and dropped a deuce on my friend's floor in solidarity---looking up at me with a goofy grin on his face.  And he's housebroken!!!!!! Humiliating...  Cleaned it up, apologised like a shamed serf and got the beast outside.

I reeled around her house for another half hour, bumping into things and cursing and then decided that this was completely ridiculous, so I drove off  and raided the plant nursery at Ace Hardware.  Dahlias, Peonies, Lily of The Valley, herbs and lots of dirt.  If I'm gonna go down Chemo Lane, it's going to be LOADED with flowers.

As this is also about food, I made this amazing little ramekin dish called Oeufs en Cocotte.  You butter a smal porcelain ramekin, put a tablespoon of cream in it and drop it in a quarter inch of simmering water on the stove ("water bath").  When this is hot, you break an egg into the ramekin and let that get hot for a while...then you take this out, drop another tbs of cream on top and add a dollop of butter (unsalted).  Toss it in the oven and bake at 375 for 7 minutes.
Take it out and let it set for about five.
Eat.
GLORIOUS.

I love French food.  My Grandfather had a disturbing antipathy toward France and all things French, which I found inexplicably odd as that is primarily the DNA on that side of the family, but lucky for me, I do not share this affliction.

Vive la Freakin France, y'all!



4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please keep writing... I can't help but think it is therapeutic but also, selfishly, you write brilliantly and I would miss these posts... Now... I promise to laugh with you, sit with you, cook with you, run lines with you and if needed.. find a friends floor upon which to leave my own statement against cancer and chemo.. GO CAPOTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There.... I read it! HAPPY? Cee Uou Next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow. I feel so honored. Stand back. Oh... oh wait... sorry, that was just gas.

    ReplyDelete

I think I have enabled this thing to accept any/all comments. Judge away, if you wish. :)